14 March 2008

Synchronicity and Serendipity

I actually started typing Sunchronicity. I like that! I may start using that word now. You know, when the sun comes out exactly when you need a little encouragement or something similar. "I was feeling sad this morning when I woke up. And then I started thinking about you and the sun came out right at that moment. Man, that was some good Sunchronicity!" Yep, I like it!


Anyway, I wasn't going to post tonight because I just wasn't feeling it. But then I made my DAC (Daily Art Card), which is NOT the one posted above but similar to it. Inspired by Zentangles. I've read about them on many blogs and forums and finally caved in to see what the fuss was all about. Well, I have to say, it's nothing new to me. I've been doing these kinds of drawings since I was a kid but we just call them doodles or Dessin Sans Dessein which basically means a Drawing without Intention (or without Design.) A drawing that hasn't been thought out prior to being put on paper and which does not represent anything in particular. So anyway, like I said, I've been doing these since I was a kid but hadn't done any in a couple of years. So I decided to draw them again and to use them as a sort of meditation (speaking of which, I've given up meditating on a daily basis; I really don't enjoy it all that much... so I'm doing other things instead like Zentangles-type drawings and knitting.) So expect to see a few more of these drawings.

One of the reasons I wanted to write about synchronicity tonight is that for the past 2 weeks, I've been getting messages from here and there about a singer/songwriter I greatly admire: Leonard Cohen. He's a Montreal native and for as long as I can remember, I've loved his music. But I hadn't taken the time to listen to it for a while now. So a few days ago, I put on the only CD of his I own, Cohen Live, and rediscovered some of my all-time favourites. And I think it was the next day that I heard he was being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and that he will be in concert in Montreal for the Jazz Festival. I would so love to see him in concert but at the moment, I can't afford it. Maybe one day soon.

My thoughts are getting scattered again. I've had back pain for a couple of days now and the pills I took are not helping (nor did rubbing and putting heat and/or cold on it...) So I'm going to bed in hopes of waking up in better shape tomorrow. Goodnight.

3 comments:

CeeCee said...

Oh, I hope you feel better Sophie!!! I'm not sure if I read correctly but who did the drawing in this post?! I love it!
Anyways, take good care my friend.
CC

gma said...

Yes Sunchronicity is a good word.
Leonard Cohen is one of my favs...truly awesome. So glad he is finally getting recognized.

altermyworld said...

Not sure if i have heard of Leonard Cohen will have to rush over to my library and check him out. I too have been feeling like poop my leg is jus driving me crazy. nothing seems to be working. Am going to start some yoga as soon as the DVD comes in at the library.
Yeah i don't get the craze over zentangles, its really no different than doodling, i mean you don't set down to doodle anything specific you just doodle. Well know it has a special name.
take care and hope you feel better
Ang