06 August 2010

The tree - L'arbre

"The tree is the link between the earth and the sky. The tree is life."
I've been playing in my new journal for about 2 weeks now but it's mostly daily writings. Yesterday, I decided to make a something more visual than just writing. Because the paper in this journal absorbs water and paint to quickly, I decided to glue a book page down and paint over that. That worked nicely and I quite like the effect. I didn't want to see the text from the whole page so I layered some gesso around the tree. I wrote over that part with my Poster Paint marker. For the tree, I first drew the outline + a few lines with wax crayons. Then I painted with watercolours. The pages in this journal measure 5,25" x 8,25".
Ça fait environ deux semaines que je joue dans mon nouveau journal mais c'est surtout de l'écriture quotidienne. Hier, j'ai décidé de faire une page un peu plus visuelle que juste de l'écriture. Comme le papier absorbe l'eau et la peinture trop rapidement, j'ai décidé de coller une page de livre et de peindre sur cette surface. Ç'a bien fonctionné et j'aime bien l'effet. Je ne voulais pas voir le texte sur toute la page alors j'ai mis quelques couches de gesso autour de l'arbre. J'ai écrit par-dessus cette partie avec mon feutre Poster Paint. Pour l'arbre, j'ai d'abord dessiné le contour + quelques lignes au crayons de cire. Puis, j'ai peint à l'aquarelle. Les pages de ce journal mesure 13,25cm x 21cm.

3 comments:

Janet said...

LOVE this page! Trees are so much fun to do in art. I like how you can see the words on the trunk and the leaves. Very cool!!

A'n'G Johnson said...

I love the bottom layer showing through!

Mary said...

I love your tree...great page! Trees are magical!