20 July 2010

Simple pleasures - Plaisirs simples

Day 2 of my week of art journaling.

I think that this page is very different from what I usually do. 
I actually started this page with an idea in mind but it changed along the way. The background is a dyed paper towel which has been covered with white acrylic paint. I wanted a colourful page without having to cover the background with lots of paint so I decided to layer pieces of patterned paper instead. I was really drawn to warm colours last night while making this page so I chose papers in red, pink and orange. I then added the red label in the middle and the small images (all from ArtChix) at the top.  To add some texture and more colour, I spread a bit of oil pastel in the bottom left corner and around the images. Then I stamped circles using brown dye ink and an empty toilet paper roll.
At first, I had wanted to write the journaling in the label but thought the page wouldn't be balanced enough so I added another piece of patterned paper (the other side of the pink grid paper) at the bottom to write on. Finally, I wrote a bit in the label and I was done. This page took longer than the last two because the paint on top of the paper towel wouldn't dry quickly enough and I had a hard time gluing all the pieces on top of it. I do like the final result though, even if I had to staple the images at the top a bit so they would stay in place.

If you have a minute, Maman KoolAid (my mom) has updated her blog with a beautiful card. Though she only writes in french, she does understand english so feel free to leave her a comment if you feel so inclined.

***
Un de mes plus grands et simples plaisirs dans la vie est de recevoir (et envoyer) du courrier.

Deuxième journée de ma semaine de journal artistique.
 
Je pense que cette page est très différente de ce que je fais habituellement.
J'ai commencé cette page avec une idée en tête mais elle a changé en cours de route. Le fond est une feuille d'essui-tout teint qui a été recouverte de peinture acrylique blanche. Je voulais une page colorée sans avoir à recouvrir le fond avec beaucoup de peinture alors j'ai décidé d'étager des morceaux de papier à motif à la place. J'étais vraiment attirée par les couleurs chaudes hier soir pendant que je faisais cette page alors j'ai choisi  des papiers en rouge, rose et orange. J'ai ensuite ajouté l'étiquette rouge au centre et les petites images (toutes de ArtChix) dans le haut. Pour ajouter de la texture et plus de couleur, j'ai étendu un peu de pastel gras dans le coin inférieur gauche et autour des images. Ensuite j'ai étampé des cercles avec de l'encre à base de teinture brune et un rouleau de papier hygiénique vide.
Au début, je voulais écrire mon texte sur l'étiquette rouge mais je me suis dit que la page ne serait pas assez équilibrée alors j'ai ajouté un autre morceau de papier à motif (l'envers du papier à carreaux rose) dans le bas pour écrire dessus. Finalement, j'ai écrit un peu sur l'étiquette puis c'était terminé. Cette page a pris plus de temps que les deux dernières à faire parce que la peinture sur l'essui-tout ne voulait pas sécher assez vite et j'ai eu de la difficulté à coller les morceaux par-dessus. J'aime bien le résultat final par contre, même si j'ai dû brocher les images du haut un peu pour qu'elles restent en place.

Si vous avez une minute, Maman KoolAid (ma mère) a mis à jour son blogue avec une joli carte. Laissez-lui un commentaire si ça vous tente.
 

4 comments:

iHanna said...

mmm! what a yummy page this is with colours and label and all. I like it, and the description of how you made it and your thoughts about it really ads to the interestingess of it all. :-)

JoyceAnn said...

Hi Sophie ~ So happy to hear from you , sorry I haven't been by in awhile. Life has been really busy , cleaning , cooking , critter care , gardening , Grand kids and the list goes on and on. I try to blog each day , but I don't visit and comment as much.

Today's post has a link to show how I make my homemade vanilla and were you can purchase vanilla beans , but if you google " homemade vanilla " , there are many different ways to make it. Hope you'll try it , it's so much better than that store bought stuff.

~ Many Blessings ~

JoyceAnn said...

Forgot to say , your journal pages look fantastic !!

Laura said...

Ooooh, I REALLY like this, Sophie!! The colors are great and so is your arrangement of everything.